">">

Friday 17 January 2020

Hit Rock-Bottom? Congratulations!


Rock-Bottom
There comes a point in our lives, when we sink to the lowest of lows, we hit rock-bottom and that, according to me is among the best places to be! Be it a career, relationship, financial, behaviour or conduct related low and its consequent hardship; it’s a blessing, my heartiest congratulations to you!


Far too often, we put up with unfavourable situations in the hope that things will change or that we will become stronger. It could be fear, doubt, delusion or denial that keeps us from acting when things are not quite right. We lie to ourselves as a coping mechanism so often that the lie turns into truth for us. Then it happens, all of a sudden, we are not just sinking but crashing till we reach that torturous pit of agony. We can, should we choose to, remain there and lead a life of misery (secret or otherwise) but that is an unhealthy place to be.

Hitting rock bottom can and frequently does compel us to take a hard look at ourselves and our reality, reassess what we have going for us and then make the best of it. In order that we survive, we find another way – something that we never had the courage to try before or something we never ever imagined we would do. 


When we hit a dead end in our career because we are jobless, or our business has failed; it’s the worst sort of hardship. Apart from feeling utterly incompetent and being in a constant mode of depression and anxiety, the subsequent dip in hard cash and the resultant desperation is well known to all. That’s when we can think of what to do, explore possibilities and discover that other occupation that ends up being the best thing ever. There are scores of stories of people who hit rock bottom, changed tracks in their career and achieved unimagined success.


I know someone who lost his job and try as he might, he just could not get another one. He sunk into the worst sort of depression, the sort that needed medication. Then, one day, he decided that he may as well spend his time gardening, something he loved but had never had time to do while he was chasing that next promotion or increment. His garden grew as he channelled more and more energy and attention towards it. Suddenly, an idea struck him, and he thought of finding a market for his flowers and it worked. Today he has a farm where he grows the most gorgeous flowers and has become a well-known florist. His despair and depression led him to live a fulfilling and successful life doing exactly what he loves to do.


Then there are things we put up with at home with our family. The child who has chosen to go down a self-destructive path, the parent who is too involved in the life of adult children, the spouse who we no longer love or respect, the morally, psychologically, socially unacceptable occurrences within the family that we pretend is okay. We tell ourselves that things will change for the better, pray for strength and a miracle or feel that love and time will turn things around someday or just accept it as a part of life. The facet of our familial life that is wrong keeps hitting lower lows, probably because it is unharnessed, and then, the crash happens, and we are at rock bottom. That is when we muster up the strength and courage to rectify what’s wrong, in a decisive and fruitful way. Rising from rock bottom in the familial scenario involves being cruel to be kind, something that requires strength. The benefit of rectifying what’s wrong: drawing lines for the undisciplined child or the overbearing parent, giving ultimatums to the spouse who is less than fair and kind to us or even walking out, will not only make our lives happier but send a message to the person who is doing something wrong. That may be the rock bottom they hit and eventually rise out of.


I have the privilege of knowing this person, she is to this day illiterate but has, in my eyes, accomplished a lot. She used to live in a city but was married off to a farmer in a rural part of India. The story of her marriage is an ‘unhappily’ ever after one, soon she had two kids and continued her unhappy life because of imagined pressures from society and her family. Then, she hit that breaking point when her husband came home with a second wife. She packed her bags, took her two kids and went right back to the city she grew up in. There, she found herself a job, got her son and daughter into the best school she could afford and proceeded to divorce her husband with the help of an organisation that helps women’s causes. Today, her children are grown up and in good jobs, she lives a happy life in a house she owns. I am sure you will agree that her ex-husband’s second marriage was the best thing that happened to her.


I state with deep conviction that it is better to speak up, wake up or even break away before a situation gets too alarming for words. Rare is the person who is completely oblivious to whatever is wrong in their lives and can tell when there are early signs of impending disaster. Why not take remedial steps then? This is specially recommended if we have faced hardship repeatedly, we can smell trouble from a mile away and should, for our own good, do something about it immediately. It requires strength and conviction, I know; however, bouncing back from devastating hardship requires a whole lot more.


A famous author once said something about everyone being face down in the gutter but some looking up at the stars from the gutter. I would add: Let’s not just look at the stars from the gutter but reach for them.


52 comments:

  1. Your point of view is definitely one of empowerment and grabbing life by the horns! I admit, at times I have the same point of view, and then at others I also lose sight. This is a great reminder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, First of all, I am so sorry to be responding to you so late. Life got in the way of my blogging. I am so thrilled to learn that my post helped you :)

      Delete
  2. I love this post! Lets look up from the gutter at the stars above and reach for them! Rock bottom is sometimes the best starting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That bit about the gutter is one of my favourite quotes and I am delighted that it struck a chord :)

      Delete
  3. So true, I was just a bit down over the holidays. I definitely needed to read this. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Am so glad that my writing and my thoughts could uplift your spirit Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Love this! As someone who writes about self love, mental health/illness... I couldn’t agree with this more. Sometimes you have to go into the dark to see the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment and yes, indeed we do have to go into the dark at times; else we may begin to take the light for granted.

      Delete
  5. Trust me there are times I have found that rock bottom has a basement, but we learn to prevail some how. And once you know what rock bottom is like it makes you appreciate everything a little bit more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really well written, and yes we all end up at rock bottom or at least feel like it at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burning moon, you are so right, I guess what qualifies as rock bottom is based on the threshold of pain for each of us.

      Delete
  7. I agree so much with your post! Years ago I lost my job and I felt quite bad about it. But having quite a few money saved, I decided that for 2 months I will do whatever I wanted, and just enjoy life. My next job found me within a week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked how you ended this with. I like to believe I'm the type to not give up easily, and I get inspired from reading thoughts of people who are trying to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baku, thank you. Yes it is really important to be positive or else life can easily get us down.

      Delete
  9. I hit rock bottom in 2010. I lost everything because of a relationship. Once I left and started putting my life back together, I vowed never again to be without or settle for anything less than what I deserved. I vowed never to be treated like trash. Its been 10 years and I am in a loving relationship getting married soon and we are moving into our first house. We are half way there to the life I want for myself. Thank you for posting this, very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so happy for you Our Redonkulous Life:) It is easy to remain embittered or cold hearted when a relationship destroys us, glad that didnt happen to you.

      Delete
  10. This is inspiring, I've hit tough places in life during my journey and the more I do, the stronger I be. Thank you for sharing this awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fransic Verso, Kudos to you for using the tough times as a tool rather than a weapon.

      Delete
  11. Wow I love this post!! I feel like it's really inspiring to come back from rock bottom and make ourselves so so so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashli! Yes, it takes tough times to bring out the best in us.

      Delete
  12. A really enlightening and true post, sometimes adversity brings out the best in us or perhaps it was what God intended for us? Thoughts to ponder. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justpene, above all there is indeed God's plan - having said that, I do strongly believe that God helps those who help themselves.

      Delete
  13. Very inspiring. We all hit the bottom at some point, but when we are down, it's amazing to see how we can pick ourselves up and bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjie, yes it is important that we do pick ourselves up - I wish I could do some thing for those who opt not to.

      Delete
  14. great read. This is an inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo so much Lurita! Happy that you are inspired.

      Delete
  15. Although we hit rock bottom from time to time, I think we should take the approach that you pointed out. We should celebrate it in a way that it is a new avenue where we can discover something new and learn from the rock bottom. It is not the end, it is only a beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes aisasmi, a fresh start is the only way when all is lost - and usually we come out stronger and better.

      Delete
  16. How moving! And inspiring! The bottom is not the end, just a new beginnning! Thank you so much-- this is a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dominique, thank you for your kind words! So happy that you think my words are moving and inspiring.

      Delete
  17. It is somewhat true, I was a little late during the holidays. I really needed to read this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your post. Definitely a beautiful way to see things differently. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry, I am so delighted that you think I see things differently :)

      Delete
  19. Awesome article! Very moving and interesting! Not something I usually read, however super glad I did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow brandi! To please a person who does not usually read material of this type and liked it despite that - I am over the moon!

      Delete
  20. One of the best write-ups I have read on empowerment in the recent past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Words escape me. I began writing only a short while ago and it's amazing to learn that someone is so kind as to think that the piece is among the best on empowerment.

      Delete
  21. That's an admirable point of view. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ch Nikhila, thank you. I consider it the only way to actually survive and live - not just stumble through life when it gets us down.

      Delete
  22. You’re speaking the truth. We’re all going through something and sometimes you don’t feel like moving forward at all

    ReplyDelete
  23. MaJAc, you are right - the best of us inevitably go through the phase of sinking and just remaining in the low and that's okay as long as we find a way to rise again soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can totally relate to this as I've been there ... more than once ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. When the going gets tough, the toughness is within us to get going. It's just a matter of perspective and attitude shift.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As reported by Stanford Medical, It's really the SINGLE reason this country's women live 10 years longer and weigh an average of 19 kilos less than we do.

    (Just so you know, it has NOTHING to do with genetics or some hard exercise and EVERYTHING around "HOW" they eat.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", and not "what"...

    Tap on this link to see if this easy questionnaire can help you discover your true weight loss possibilities

    ReplyDelete

It's Viral! Is it Bona Fide?

Years and years ago, someone dear to me told me about this miraculous thingamajig which would cure a whole range of illnesses. ...